Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy caboose #14118
The museum’s oldest railcar, #14118 was built in Plattmouth, Nebraska in January of 1880. After serving the CB&Q for nearly a century, the museum acquired it in 1978. The museum recently restored it to its original CB&Q colors.
Denver and Rio Grande Western Boxcar #62746
This rare boxcar was built in 1909 and is one of the last remaining 36 foot boxcars. As larger boxcars came along, the 36 footers quickly fell out of favor and most were scrapped.
Denver and Rio Grande Western Flatcar #21158
Built in 1909, this flatcar’s most valuable cargo was a block of marble used for the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The car carried the marble from Colorado to Vermont in 1931, where it was sculpted to fit the monument.
Southern Pacific Boxcar #34828
This boxcar was built in 1917, and features wooden sides and ends. This was to save steel for war production during World War I.
Kansas City Southern Gondola #28351
This steel gondola car was built in 1919 and is “self-clearing,” meaning its floors have trap doors that can drop cargo through them.
Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Flatcar #15143
This flatcar was built in 1896, and was originally a boxcar or stockcar. After it was converted to a flatcar, the Waco, Beaumont, Trinity, and Sabine railroad bought the car and used it as a caboose. The museum acquired it, restoring it as a flatcar.
Western Fruit Express Refrigerator car #66354
Built in 1928, this is a 32 foot long insulated refrigerator car. The car is insulated, and can carry 10,000 pounds of ice. Fans on the inside of the car blow the icy air to keep perishable fruit cool.
ATSF Boxcar #205512MW
This all steel box car was built in 1948, and carried automobile parts before being used in Maintenance of Way service.
Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Stock Car #105031
The only stock car in the museum’s collection, #105031 was built in 1928. After its retirement, the car played a role in the film Emperor of the North Pole, where it was set on fire for use in a stunt.
Arrow Refining Company Tank Car #116
116 is an 8,000 gallon tank car built in 1923. It was acquired from Reader Railroad and repainted in bright green Arrow Refining Company colors.
ATSF Tank Car #100221
Built by the Pressed Steel Company in 1915, it is a 10,000 gallon tank car used by the Santa Fe Railroad. Its red markings are a color code, indicating that the car carried gasoline.
Kanotex Refining Company Tank Car #879
This 8000 gallon tank car was built in 1941, and has three separate compartments to carry different kinds of liquids.
Union Tank Car #31589
Built by the Union Tank Car Company in 1918, this is a 10,000 gallon tank car used to carry oil. After sitting unused, Exxon donated the car to the museum.
ATSF Caboose #1642
The American Car and Foundry Company built this caboose for ATSF in 1927, the first year that Santa Fe ordered only cabooses made of steel.
Missouri Pacific Caboose #12131
Originally built for the Texas and Pacific Railroad in 1942, this caboose transferred to the Missouri Pacific Railroad with Missouri Pacific acquired the T&P.
Southern Pacific Caboose #347
A steel caboose built in 1942 for the Texas & New Orleans Railroad, it transferred to Southern Pacific when T&NO was acquired by Southern Pacific.
Texas and New Orleans Caboose #317
Originally built as Southern Pacific #1170, and dates back to the early 1940s. It is a C-40-3 steel caboose, the last class of Southern Pacific cabooses with a cupola.